Thursday 19 May 2011

Blackheads

Blackheads are the bane of my existence. FACT.
Because my skin is very oily I have a lot and they are so hard to get rid of! We all know that blackheads do not equate a "dirty" face, they are created by excess sebum, but there is still that stigma attached to them.

One of the ways to get rid of them is to invest in a blackhead removal stick which is bascically a stick with two holes (or "domes") either end, a large one and a small one, which you place over the blackhead and press into the skin surrounding it. This pushes the blockage upwards and out, and is less likely to cause infection than using your fingers (as long as you keep it clean!!!) This can hurt depending on where the blackhead is, for example the skin surrounding the lips and nose is very sensitive, and pressing too deeply into the skin can cause bleeding.

Here is an example of a blackhead removal stick:
http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_SkinCare&CatCode=C_SkinCare_Accessories&prdcode=78242m

These are relatively cheap and are really easy to use, but again I sometimes find it too painful on certain areas and/or if the blackhead is very deep.

Another thing you could try is facial steaming; a very, very long time ago my mum bought me a facial sauna from Marks and Spencer which I have just recently started using again (it still works!) It's not too disimilar from this one:
http://www.boots.com/en/Carmen-Beauty-Facial-Sauna_2813/
A cheaper way of doing this is getting a bowl of hot water and placing your face over it with a towel covering both your face and the bowl to keep the hot air in. This opens your pores and after doing try using a pore strip across your nose to remove any blackheads!

I used a pore strip before and it was so painful to pull off that it made my eyes water!! If this happens to you, apply some water to the strip as it will loosen it up and make it easier to remove.

If none of these methods work and you have some money to spare, facial spas often do an extraction service. An aesthetician will remove your blackheads before applying a cooling serum to close the pores. I have had this done and the aesthetician uses a blackhead remover tool just like the one above ^. On very small blackheads she used a very thin, sterilised needle to make a hole so that the blockage could be removed easier when pressed with the blackhead removal stick. Obviously I would not recommend using a needle yourself, but if you do make sure it is sterilised because other wise you will infect the blackhead and make it look worse and feel painful.

- Natalie

1 comment:

  1. Are blackheads just like pimples, like are they caused by clogged pores. I have them on my nose and no matter how much I wash my face they won't go away. Why would this be? I don't know what to do. Read more

    ReplyDelete