Thursday 5 June 2014

Roaccutane, again!

So after getting slightly depressed about my skin and the fact that it is as bad as ever I decided to pay another visit to my dermatologist at Pall Mall medical (61 King Street, Manchester).

For those who live in Manchester or the UK; Pall Mall is a good place to go because you don't need a referral so you don't have to go through the process of seeing your GP and waiting to get an appointment! It's especially good if, like me, you have taken Roaccutane before as you will not have to try everything else before being prescribed R and can get it relatively quickly. However it is private and therefore expensive if you are self funding.

If you have read my previous posts about R you will know that before it is prescribed you have to have a liver function and cholestrol test (as well as taking the pill for at least a month before/ having a pregnancy test if you are female).
I however did not come prepared so after agreeing to prescribe me the Dr had to send me away while I got the tests done and told me to come back in 1 month...

... 2 weeks later I returned (I'm very inpatient) with results in hand. "When is your next period?" "Not for 5 days" *silence*. 
I didn't know this but they tend to want 2 ways to prove you're not pregnant: the negative test and for you to be on your period just before you start taking R. It is important because if you do fall pregnant whilst taking it you have to have an abortion. 

Anyway, after proving my lack of pregnancy I was able to get my prescription, a one month supply of 20mg capsules with the agreement that I should quickly move up to 40mg.


I had to get 2 boxes of 10mg so I take two a day.


have been taking them for about 9 days now and the only effect I have had so far is dry lips. It's the kind of dryness where if you open your mouth wide enough you can feel the sides split... In fact as I was typing that I scratched my mouth and made it bleed.

I'll keep you updated of any changes and will take regular pictures of my face so we can all see the (fingers crossed) changes!

If you have any questions let me know.

- Natalie 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the information. I will be reviewing it soon and will let you know if we have any follow-up questions.
    Dermatologist in Manchester
    Thank you for sending this info. I learned alot from it.

    ReplyDelete