Wednesday 27 April 2011

After Roaccutane!

When I was taking R I was convinced that it would clear up all my acne and I would never get another spot again... I stopped taking it in September and still get regular break outs now.

As I keep saying, I never knew of anyone who had ever taken R so there was nobody to give me advice or prepare me for what would happen. I went on websites like http://www.reclaimyourskin.co.uk/ and it seemed that everybody who kept a diary on there wrote that after they finished their course of tablets their skin stayed clear, so I assumed that my skin would do the same!

Although R helps hinder acne it doesn't stop it completely, I suppose nothing can. Regular break-outs are common after the treatment but I still panic every time I do and think that the tablets didn't work, sometimes my skin looks bad but even at its worst it still looks better than it used to.

Tomorrow I am going to my GP to ask for a prescription of anti-biotics to take in correspondence with my microdermabrasion treatments, I'll let you know if they make a difference! That would be my advice to anyone who is worried that their Roaccutane treatment didn't work, see your doctor and ask for a mild prescription to help continuously control sebum production in the skin. Also, don't stop with your facial routine after you have finished with R! Continue washing, moisturising, and devoting the same attention to your skin as you did before because then you will be aware of any changes to the skin!

But yes, the moral of the story is that while most people will have a high success rate with R other people (like myself) will still suffer from acne but to a lesser degree than before! Don't worry though, I won't give up until I find a treatment I am 100% satisfied with!

- Natalie

3 comments:

  1. natalie.. thank you so much for this blog.. i have exactly the same problem as you! exactly!! i know how you feel! i have been on cure for 8 months and these little bastards are coming back again! i feel so angry every time i see a new one on my face! i am thinking that i should start again a new circle of cure with roaccutan! and i hope that this time it will work! its ok to have one at a week! its normal.. but i have more! not like i used to have.. not at all! but thats not what we want right ;) i can totally feel you! xoxo vasiliki

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took roaccutane in 2008 and it did clear my skin up. However I had a few of the side effects. The more bareable ones were dry lips and nose, dry itchy eyes. However my joints and back hurt like mad. And now 2013 my joints still regularly ache and are very painfull after sports. IMO now I am a bit older. I wouldnt take it. I am 23 and ache like mad after a long day or exercise. Obv each person feels differently about how their acne makes them feel but given the choice again. Id do without.

    P.s. Does anyone know of any vitamins other than glucosimine that may help my joints?

    ReplyDelete