Friday 22 April 2011

N-Lite Laser

I had laser treatment done when my face was at its worst; I had cysts covering my cheeks and chin, they were so painful that I couldn't sleep on my face and my pillows were always full of blood. I had been having the microdermabrasion but the aesthetician convinced me to try the laser treatment as it was more effective than the microdermabrasion on severe acne and scarring.

The laser kills and reduces the bacteria in the skin and works beneath the surface without damaging the outer layer.

I was nervous as I didn't know what to expect at all! I was given a pair of blacked-out goggles to wear to shield my eyes from the laser and sat in a chair that made me feel like I was at the dentist.

The aesthetician has a "pen" that they use to point the laser into the areas that require treatment; as I said, my skin was extremely infected when I had the treatment done and I found it very uncomfortable. It felt as though someone was pricking me with a hot pin, the same feeling you get if you flick yourself with an elastic band, and in the more infected areas the laser felt hotter!

I have quite a high pain threshold when it comes to my skin as I want desperately for my skin to be clear, but throughout the treatment I was willing it to be over!

It lasted longer than the microdermabrasion, about 30 minutes in total, and at the end I was given the usual instructions (to wear spf and stay out of direct sunlight etc). My face was red and there was some dark red marks where the laser had penetrated the skin but I was told that they would fade quickly (which they did).

I asked whether every laser treatment was that uncomfortable and the aesthetician told me that it depends on how badly infected the area is as the pain is reflective on the amount of bacteria needing to be removed.

Laser treatment has a higher proven success rate than microdermabrasion as it can reach beyond where microdermabrasion can! You can't have the laser treatment done while you are taking R as it can causing bruising and tearing of the skin.



I found the picture above on google, but that is how N-Lite laser treatment is performed. The screen behind the aesthetician is used to change the strength of the laser and the applicator is applied to the skin so that the laser can penetrate the surface easily.

Don't let me put you off by saying that I found it uncomfortable; everybody reacts to treatments differently! And as the old saying goes "beauty is pain"!

- Natalie

3 comments:

  1. I am thinking of having the N-lite treatment done but am worried about how uncomfortable it will be because I am a bit of a wuss and will get very worried before the treatment.. My acne is very bad though but I don't know if it is worth it, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be worried; it is a bit uncomfortable, especially where the skin is thin (around the side of the nose/lips) but it only lasts for a few seconds. When it's happening just think "it's only going to last 30 seconds max in that area and they'll move to a different section and it'll be fine". When you're booking your appointment ask them for all of the information - including aftercare.

      I can only describe it as feeling like having an elastic band flick on you, when doing it they should say "I'm doing your forehead now" so you're not taken by surprise.

      Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with :)

      - Natalie

      Delete
  2. I am having the laser treatment tomorrow, but I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks so I was wondering whether they will say that I shouldn't have it done because I will be in the sun for two weeks sunbathing etc.. Do you know whether, after the laser, if you can still sunbathe??

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete