Thursday 28 April 2011

Dangers of Acne Medication

I saw an article about a girl who had died from a deep vein thromobosis reportedly caused by the acne medication she had been prescribed:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/861941-teenager-died-from-deep-vein-thrombosis-after-taking-acne-pill

Regardless of it's purpose, medication will always come with risks and side effects. When you are precribed a new set of tablets or a different treatment make sure that you read the detailed description of what the drug can do, and if any side effects do occur then you should contact your doctor and seek advice!

I went to the doctor this afternoon to get a new prescription of Oxytetracycline and my doctor mentioned the side effects and I thought "I've heard all this before bla bla bla" but then I remembered the article above and thought "well actually, there's every chance that I could be the one suffering from serious side effects".

As annoying as it may be to hear the same speech every time you go to the doctor and have the same questions asked, they do it with the best intentions: to protect you!

I would also like to point out the dangers of buying acne medication online: I've been there, times when I have wanted a quick solution and considered buying tablets off a site that claims the treatment is "100% effective". We don't know what these medications are made with and we do not know the risks; the people selling these drugs do not care about our safety, they're just trying to get money off vulnerable people. If you are even thinking of buying anything online you should consult your doctor first and get his/her opinion, and if they disagree then ask them what they would recommend!

Did you know that most medication sold online is made using cheap and deadly products such as rat poison or cement mix?

Think of the risks and remember that if you ever feel like your medication is affecting you badly it is important to consult a doctor ASAP!

- Natalie

1 comment:

  1. My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was once totally right. This put up truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete